Chalet Queenstown is a small
boutique hotel

How to Get Rid of Basement Mold

Molds are microscopic organisms that form on organic matter when they find the right conditions: An endless supply of food (usually cellulose) and moisture. These conditions are ideal for the growth of these fungi in dark, humid areas such as basements. Molds produce mycotoxins, secondary metabolites and allergens which can be harmful to both humans and pets. For this reason, it’s important to address any problem with a qualified and professional mold Basement Mold remediation specialist.

Fortunately, there are many things you can do to prevent and eradicate the problem of Basement Mold. The first step is to cut off the food source and lower the humidity level in the area, so as not to encourage the growth of these fungi. The second step is to remove any materials contaminated with the fungus, including drywall, carpets and wood. It’s also important to ensure proper ventilation in the area, especially if you’re going to be using any harsh chemicals or phenolic detergents in the process of cleaning and sanitizing the affected area.

Once you’ve done that, and if the affected area isn’t too large, you can begin to clean it up. First, cover up any door openings or air conditioning vents with plastic sheets. This will help keep the mold spores from spreading throughout the house and making you sick. Also, be sure to wear a dust mask when handling any materials that have come in contact with the mold. Lastly, open a window to allow fresh air to flow into the area and to further help with ventilation.

If the area is too large to handle, you should always hire a professional mold remediation specialist, as some strains of this organism can be extremely hazardous to health. However, if you have the time and money to invest in the correct protective equipment, you can follow some simple steps to clean up the mold yourself:

First, dampen the area with a spray bottle of cool water, being careful not to oversaturate. Then, using a bristled brush and a solution of surfactant and cool water, scrub the surface to remove any dirt or grime that’s present. Be sure to discard the brush and rags afterward.

It is also a good idea to wear rubber gloves and safety goggles when cleaning the wall. If you’re concerned about the potential for toxic fungus such as Chaetomium, to grow, be sure to wear a respirator or HEPA N95 mask as well.

Once the mold is removed, wipe down shelves and surfaces and let them dry completely before putting anything back in place. Be sure to keep a dehumidifier running in the basement, as this will help to keep humidity levels down and prevent further problems. It’s also a good idea to add ventilation as a permanent feature in your home, especially in the basement areas. This will prevent mold and mildew from forming in the future.